Foodshare

Friday, March 2, 2012

21 years of volunteer work!

Linda (right) with receptionist Arelys Fernandez.

Name: Linda Martyn

Occupation/ employer:  Retired as President of GBEPlus

Role at Foodshare:  Currently I am an Honorary member of the Board of Directors, a Volunteer with Mobile Foodshare, I answer phones when needed and I serve on the Volunteer Advisory Council.
 

How long have you been with Foodshare?  21 years

How did you first become involved with Foodshare?  I heard about Foodshare on TV and, because I grew up in a very poor family, I felt a real pull to volunteer to help hungry people. It gives me great fulfillment to be a part of such a great organization.

Why do you support Foodshare? Because the work they do is phenomenal, not only helping to provide food for people in need, but they are working to end hunger in our community. I have never volunteered at such a well organized company with such great leadership.
  
A personal/professional goal: To continue to support Foodshare's mission and other non-profits in our community. I want to expand the amount of time I spend volunteering - it is so rewarding for me.
  
What was the hardest thing you’ve had to learn partnering with Foodshare? Seeing how great the need is in our community and realizing how much has to be done in our country - where there is such abundance of food and yet so many people are hungry or at risk of hunger. Especially the elderly and children. It's very painful to realize the enormity of the problem. Foodshare is making a big difference in our community and I am so thankful for that.
   
What one word would you use to describe yourself? Caring

Share something about yourself that few people know: I have mentored several troubled teenagers over the years, some successfully and some not. One still spends weekends with us and still needs our support.

If you were an animal what kind would you be and why? I would like to be a cat and belong to someone like me. My kitties are very spoiled!

If you were a superhero, what would your power be? To end the pain and suffering in this world.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, what actress would you like to see play the role of you? Meg Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment