Foodshare

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Talking turkey as Thanksgiving is right around the corner!

Checking my e-mail on the weekend and found this message from an acquaintance:

"My apologies to barge in on your weekend. I just had a great interchange today that I wanted to share with you.

"As I was waiting to have my hair cut earlier today a woman starting talking to me. She was concerned because she organizes a project that delivers food baskets for Thanksgiving.
It is a joint effort using folks from her church and students from a school where she teaches in Hartford. Anyway, the demand for baskets this year is more than they can accommodate with the funds from the church.

"Long story short, she realizes I do fundraising and the conversation skyrockets. It turns out that she is a donor to Food Share. She and her husband give a contribution each year through their family foundation. We talked all about your great work. She shared how much she appreciates the very nice thank you note they receive each year. She told me, 'I especially like it when they tell me how many people it helped.'  She talked about how she likes to get involved with the organizations they support and how food is a passion of theirs, along with education."

Foodshare is still taking applications from families who need a little help this Thanksgiving, but I'm concerned that we will have a similar story of increased demand, which will be harder than ever to meet.  Applications from families are due by Thursday and we will be announcing the goals for the "Turkey and Thirty" campaign over the weekend.  With only nine days after that goal announcement until we need to have the turkeys in and distributed to families in need, it will be harder than ever to pull this off!

No comments:

Post a Comment