Foodshare

Friday, March 1, 2013

In The Spotlight: Greg Garger



Name: Greg Garger



Occupation:
Human Resources Executive for Otis Elevator Co. a business unit of UTC

Role at Foodshare:
Currently Chair, Board of Directors

How long have you been with Foodshare?
Eight+ years in various roles

How did you first became involved with Foodshare?
I volunteered shortly after I moved to Connecticut (having volunteered at a food bank in Arizona for the 7 years I was there.  I was also fortunate enough to serve on the board in Arizona as well).

Why do you support Foodshare?
I believe there is no more worthy goal than helping to feed hungry people.
 Last read?
Killing Lincoln (O’Reilly and Dugard) right after seeing the movie “Lincoln”

What was the hardest thing you’ve had to learn partnering with Foodshare?
How many hungry families – and hungry children – there still are in Connecticut, and the number keeps growing. 

What has changed the most at Foodshare in your time with us?
As it gets harder and harder to source surplus food, I am always impressed with the entire organization’s creativity in still finding ways to reach and feed more people.

What has stayed the same?
The organization’s absolute commitment to its mission and its incredible efficiency in wringing the most food out of every penny donated

What are you most proud of? 
Raising two wonderful daughters with my wife, Laura (the greater share of credit goes to her!)

Share something about yourself that few people know:
I love to perform in musical theater, singing and acting on stage.

Where does your inspiration / motivation to volunteer come from? 
My religion and my family

If you were a plant (animal) what kind would you be?  Why?
I would be a soy plant because soy can become anything.

What is your favorite drink?  
Water (room temperature), though red wine is a pretty close second thanks to my Italian heritage

What is your favorite movie or book or song? 
Tie between “Thunder Road” by Bruce Springsteen and “Piano Man” by Billy Joel

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, what actor would you like to see play the role of you? 
Daniel Day Lewis – he is great in everything he does

If you won $20 million in the lottery, what would you do with the money? 
Foodshare and several other organizations would be very, very happy.  Maybe I should start buying lottery tickets…….

No comments:

Post a Comment