Foodshare

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Got Breakfast?

We all know that breakfast is the “most important meal of the day.” Unfortunately, less than half of the kids in Greater Hartford who are eligible eat breakfast in school.

Over the next week I will undertake the Foodshare School Breakfast Challenge. I am not going to pretend that I know what it's like to be hungry. When this week is over, I am comforted by the knowledge that I can and will sit down to a healthy breakfast each morning; but I feel it's important to have an open dialogue that informs and engages everyone in this issue.

Since it really comes down to geography--and whether you are lucky enough to live in a community that offers a school breakfast program--I will skip breakfast based on a lottery system. Each day I will share my experience, as well as some important facts, about this federal program and the impact it has on our kids.

Thank you for taking the time to follow me on this journey. I encourage each of you to join the conversation by commenting below or sharing your thoughts on social media (@Foodshare #SchoolBreakfastChallenge). Let's make sure all our kids start the day with a healthy meal! 
 
 
James Arena-DeRosa, President & CEO



 

No comments:

Post a Comment