Foodshare

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

In The Spotlight: Casey Aubin

Name: Casey Aubin

Occupation: Teacher at Madina Academy in Windsor, CT and full time Master’s student at Hartford Seminary.

Role at Foodshare: I have been working to contact and encourage various faith organizations to participate in this year’s Walk Against Hunger.

How long have you been with Foodshare? Since February

How did you first become involved? I was sent to Foodshare by Hartford Seminary for a work/study position.  Originally, I was supposed to teach English as a second language at a different program.  However, God really does work in mysterious and wonderful ways because that job didn’t work out and I came to Foodshare instead.  Coming to work here is an amazing experience that I am really grateful for.
  
Why you support Foodshare: Foodshare gives to those who need it most.  In order to make the world a better place, we need to start close to home.

What one word would you use to describe yourself? Enthusiastic

If you were a plant (animal) what kind would you be?  Why? As soon as I saw this question, I knew I had to answer it.  I told my students that being asked this very question was always possible in an interview and they didn’t believe me.  So here is my proof!  If I were anything I would have to say I would be a bee.  I always try to keep “as busy as a bee” and fill my time as much as possible.  We are only given so much time in life, so I don’t like to waste a minute.

Where does your inspiration/motivation to volunteer come? My motivation to volunteer and to be active in my community comes from my thankfulness for everything I have been given.  God has been good to me, so to show my gratitude I try to do my part to help make the world a little better for all of us.

What is your favorite drink? Why? While most people would probably say my favorite drink is coffee, because I have a serious love of caffeine, that’s not the best drink I’ve ever had.  When I was studying in Israel I had a frozen orange/mango drink from heaven that I bought from a street vendor.  Nothing has ever tasted as amazing as that did on that hot summer day in Nazareth.  Maybe it was because it was well over 100 degrees outside, but nothing was as delicious as sharing that drink with my friends on the side of that little street.

What are you most proud of? My students at Madina Academy.  After telling them about the Walk Against Hunger and about the work that Foodshare does, they were so ready to participate and eager to come up with new ways to fundraise, how could I not be proud of them? Every time I work with them and teach them, I am always so astounded by their willingness to learn and their amazing efforts. Teaching them is truly a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment