Yesterday's Walk Against Hunger was great – perfect weather, a record crowd, and generally smooth logistics, despite a new location and route.
And the key news you're wondering about - we ended the day yesterday with $544,000 raised! This is $6,000 more than last year at the end of Walk day, but still short of our $600,000 goal. We think that we will hit the goal with late arriving donations. If you have pledges that have not been turned in yet, I hope you’ll get them in as soon as possible and help us meet the goal.
Thank you to everyone who made yesterday possible:
· The wonderful event sponsors and their employees, in particular, The Hartford, United Healthcare, and the Chase family
· 250 volunteers who helped out in some way yesterday
· All of the team captains who organized teams of walkers
· The partner agencies who took part in the Walk
· All of the walkers, not sure how many yet, but I would guess in excess of the 4,000 predicted!
· Donors of in-kind goods and services who helped make the day more interesting and fun
· The Hartford Police Department for their support, help, and advice
· The great staff here at Foodshare, who worked the event, in many cases walked the route, and who raised money!
· And everyone who made a donation to support someone who was walking!
Thank you for all of your support. Together, we are living the slogan, “When hunger stops, so will we!”
Here are some images from yesterday's Walk Against Hunger:
|Volunteers for Walk day arrived at 10:30 for orientation|
|Volunteers are set up and ready to register the Walkers|
|Trix and Supercow added some fun for the kids|
|Providing for first aid is an important planning activity, even though we hope it's never needed!|
|The Walk raises money for local food pantries and community kitchens, including those run by Hands on Hartford|
|Boy Scout color guard ready to lead the Walkers in the Pledge of Allegiance|
|Cheryl Chase, sponsor of the Chase Challenge, joins me in leading off the Walk|
|Walkers fill the street leaving The Hartford|
|The Walk Against Hunger route took us under the arch|
|This says it all!|