Foodshare

Friday, May 27, 2016

Summer Meals Madness

Foodshare is so excited to be working on a new and innovative project that we hope will boost participation in summer meals programs across the region -- Summer Meals Madness. To make this happen, Stop & Shop has generously funded a temporary position to lead the charge.

And so we welcome to Foodshare's team, Peter--a UConn grad student--who has a unique set of skills that we know will make this project a success. He has been a practice player for 3 years, working to  strengthen skills of the beloved UConn women’s basketball team, building a relationship with the team and it’s coaching staff. In addition Peter has helped coordinate the First Year Program for freshman, holding various positions of increasing responsibility. He coordinated and scheduled new students, assigning more than 100 mentors and teaching assistants to students.

"Throughout my last semester as a UConn undergrad, I was attempting to find a position that involves helping others through the utilization of my skill set as a practice player with the Women’s Basketball Team and my organization skills which I attribute to my work in First Year Programs. This opportunity came up as I read the description for “Basketball Tournament Summer Coordinator” and it fit perfectly, so I applied, interviewed with the lovely Sarah Santora, and received the position. Although I am only here for the summer, I am excited to meet as many people in the company as I possibly can, gain perspective on their jobs, and hopefully help raise awareness to the Summer Meals Program through the coordination of these basketball programs."

Peter’s role will be to set up basketball free throw events at summer meal sites across Greater Hartford to highlight the program and attract new kids to each site. He will be recruiting UConn talent to offer ‘mini skills clinics’ to build excitement and attendance. In partnership with Fox61 and iHeart Radio, we hope to improve access to the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) and connect more kids with a free meal.

To learn more about meals for kids, visit our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment